With the end of the school year upon us, graduations, school recitals and summer plans are some of your kids' biggest milestones that will be etched in their memory banks. So here are a few tips to make sure you get the most from these very exciting times.
1. Before and After Pictures
So if you were on top of things, you probably took a picture of your little one at the beginning of the year, especially if it was their first day of school. Well now is a great time to take an after picture and take note of how much they've grown. We especially love the pic above from apartment therapy that details Oliver's loves and how they've changed.
If you forgot to take a before pic, take one now and do before and after pics of summer vacation. Detail all their favorite summer activities and summer vacation destinations whether it's Walt Disney World or the local Natural History Museum.
2. Capture the Key Moments
Here are few of the very important moments you ought to fight to the front of the audience to catch:
- receiving their diploma
- switching their tassle
- any solo action (whether it's a song, dance, speech or award)
- hugs and congratulations from the family
- any last words from the celebrant as they embark on the next chapter of their life
- saying good bye to their friends and teachers
3. Shooting Tips
- optimize your screen real estate and shoot horizontally
- keep your elbows close to your body to prevent a shaky shot
- when possible keep the light (sun or lamp) behind you so they're lighting your subject
- stand closer to your subject rather than zooming in
- don't be afraid to move around, and get in close to the action
- keep spare batteries and make sure you're fully charged at the beginning of the event
4. Be Present
Don't forget to take a few moments to put down the camera and enjoy this moment with your little one. It's just as important to be a part of their memories as it is to capture them. So be sure to congratulate them for all their accomplishments with a huge hug and an "I'm so proud of you."
Once you've got it all in the can, remember we're always here for you to create something special with your favorite memories. So that you can spend less time in front of the computer and more time with the kids by the beach.